All about Eating Disorder Treatment Plans
At Welcome to Wellbeing, we provide dietetic treatment for individuals experiencing an eating disorder. If you suspect that you, or someone you care about, may be displaying symptoms of an eating disorder, the first step is to make an appointment with a medical professional. This could be a GP, paediatrician, or psychiatrist, who can assess whether you meet the criteria to be diagnosed with an eating disorder and whether you are eligible for an Eating Disorder Treatment Plan (EDP).
What is an EDP?
Treatment for an eating disorder requires a team approach, with a GP, mental health clinician and dietitian working together to support you through recovery. An EDP entitles you to up to 20 Medicare-rebated sessions with a dietitian per year, and up to 40 Medicare-rebated psychological treatment sessions per year. For appointments with your dietitian, this means you can receive $54.60 back from Medicare for up to 20 sessions per year.
How do I get an EDP?
1. Book a long appointment with GP (or paediatrician or psychiatrist if applicable). It’s important to see a GP you feel comfortable disclosing this information to. If you don’t have a usual or suitable GP, you can ask your dietitian for a recommendation, or look for a GP in your area with mental health listed as one of their areas of interest.
During your appointment, you can expect the following:
- Answering questions about your medical and mental health history.
- Completing an Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire- you can print this out and complete it in advance to bring to your appointment.
- Being assessed for a potential diagnosis.
If eligible, you will then receive an EDP which entitles you to 20 rebated dietetic appointments per year and your first 10 psychological treatment appointments for the year.
2. Ask your GP to fax a copy to Welcome to Wellbeing or provide you with a physical copy to bring to your session. Once we have the paperwork from your GP, we will be able to send you Medicare claimable invoices for your appointments from after the date that it was signed.
3. Visit your GP every 10 psychological treatment sessions for a review and to access your next 10 psychological treatment sessions.
4. To access rebates after 20 psychological treatment sessions, you are required to be reviewed by a psychiatrist or paediatrician. In your initial appointment you can ask your GP to refer you to one of these professionals and book in advance to avoid long waiting times.
Am I eligible for an EDP?
Eligibility for an EDP can be determined by your GP, paediatrician or psychiatrist. You may be eligible if you have been or are diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder or other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED).
What if I’m not eligible?
If you are not eligible for an EDP, you may be eligible for a Mental Healthcare Plan, which entitled you to up to 10 Medicare rebated sessions with a psychologist per year, and/or a Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDMP), which entitles you to up to 5 Medicare rebated sessions with a dietitian per year.
If your GP deems you ineligible for an EDP but you or another healthcare provider are still concerned about your symptoms, it may be a good option to get a second opinion.
For more information or to organise an appointment with a dietitian please contact our friendly team at Welcome to Wellbeing at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0432 714 128.